Download Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune by Abul K. Abbas MBBS, Andrew H. H. Lichtman MD PhD, Shiv PDF
By Abul K. Abbas MBBS, Andrew H. H. Lichtman MD PhD, Shiv Pillai MBBS PhD
In this up-to-date version of Basic Immunology, the authors proceed to convey a transparent, sleek creation to immunology, making this the most obvious selection for today’s busy scholars. Their adventure as academics, direction administrators, and teachers is helping them to distill the middle info required to appreciate this advanced box. by using high-quality illustrations, relevant medical situations, and concise, targeted text, it’s a superbly accessible advent to the workings of the human immune process, with an emphasis on medical relevance.
- Concise, clinically centred content is logically organized by way of mechanism for effective mastery of the material.
- Features an appendix of scientific cases and CD molecules.
- Includes numerous full-color illustrations, precious tables, and chapter outlines.
- Focus questions within every one bankruptcy are perfect for self-assessment and review.
- Key points bolded during the textual content make it effortless to find vital information.
- Presents info in a layout and elegance that maximizes usefulness to scholars and teachers learning drugs, allied wellbeing and fitness fields, and biology.
- Fully up-to-date content equips you with the newest correct advances in immunology.
- Revised and updated artwork complements your visible studying of significant ideas and decreases the over the top real information present in higher textbooks.
- Twelve brand-new animations to be had on Student Consult aid additional clarify complicated concepts.
- Student seek advice booklet model incorporated with buy. This more advantageous book event gives you entry to the textual content, figures, pictures, thesaurus of immunology phrases, self-assessment questions, and references on various units.
Read or Download Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System PDF
Similar infectious diseases books
This quantity bargains a whole description of the present country of biology about the papillomavirus. It evaluates the carcinogenic possibility to people posed by means of an infection with human papillomaviruses (HPVs). so far, greater than 70 HPV kinds were pointed out, of which over 15 were pronounced in cervical melanoma biopsies.
The e-book supplies a finished assessment at the wisdom of virus an infection proper for people and animals. for every virus kinfolk the molecular info of the virus particle and the viral replication cycle are defined. on the subject of virus forms with relevance for human and/or animal future health the information on molecular biology, genetics and virus-cell interplay are mixed with these relating, pathogenesis, epidemiology, clinics, prevention and treatment.
Mucosal Immunology, now in its fourth version, is the single complete reference protecting the fundamental technology and scientific manifestations of mucosal immunology. such a lot infectious brokers input the physique in the course of the a variety of mucous membranes, and plenty of universal infections happen in or on mucous membranes, making this topic a space of singular value within the box of immunology.
This concise pocketbook will supply readers with an summary and history of meningococcal disorder, treatment plans and rising cures, and techniques of prevention. The booklet was once initially commissioned as a result of fresh advancements in vaccinations to avoid meningococcal affliction. This publication studies the ailment development and linked threat elements; its pathogenesis and analysis; tools of therapy and prevention, either present and rising; and the long run instructions of meningococcal sickness administration.
- Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System, 5e
- Neuroviral infections : RNA viruses and retroviruses
- Infectious Disease Management in Animal Shelters
- A History of Immunology, Second Edition
- SARS: A Case Study in Emerging Infections
- War Epidemics: An Historical Geography of Infectious Diseases in Military Conflict and Civil Strife, 1850-2000 (Oxford Geographical and Environmental Studies)
Extra resources for Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System
Some polymorphisms of the NOD2 gene are associated with inflammatory bowel disease; the underlying mechanisms remain poorly understood. • NLRP-3 (NOD-like receptor family, pyrin domain containing 3) is a cytosolic NLR that responds to many unrelated microbial struc- tures or pathologic changes in the cytosol and reacts by enhancing production mainly of the inflammatory cytokine IL-1β. It contains an Nterminal pyrin domain (so named because it is present in receptors that induce the production of fever-causing cytokines; Greek, pyro meaning burn).
The cells and molecules that are responsible for innate immunity make up the innate immune system. Innate immunity is the critical first step in host defense against infections. It blocks microbial invasion through epithelial barriers, destroys many microbes that do enter the body, and is capable of controlling and even eradicating infections. The innate immune response is able to combat microbes immediately upon infection; in contrast, the adaptive immune response needs to be induced by antigen and therefore is delayed.
TLR-2 recognizes several bacterial and parasitic glycolipids and peptidoglycans; TLR-3, -7, and -8 are specific for viral singlestranded and double-stranded RNAs; TLR-4 is specific for bacterial LPS (endotoxin); TLR-5 is specific for a bacterial flagellar protein called flagellin; and TLR-9 recognizes unmethylated CpG DNA, which is more abundant in microbial genomes than in mammalian DNA. TLRs specific for microbial proteins, lipids, and polysaccharides (many of which are present in bacterial cell walls) are located on cell surfaces, where they recognize these products of extracellular microbes.